Answering Commonly Asked Questions About Spiders In Huntsville
March 15, 2023
Huntsville, AL, offers residents the natural beauty of the South and temperate weather conditions. Unfortunately, arachnids are a part of the natural beauty surrounding this area. Older homes, wooded acreage, and milder climates are perfect for spiders.
Spiders create a need for pest control in Huntsville because these arachnids often reproduce in large numbers. If one female spider that has bred moves in with you, the chances that you will have an infestation within a few weeks increases.
How Can I Tell What Kind Of Spiders Are In My House?
Huntsville residents typically find a few common types of spiders in their homes:
- Common house spiders usually are no longer than 5/16 of an inch. They are a yellowish-brown color and have an off-white abdomen with dark stripes.
- Wolf spiders are some of the common spiders found in Alabama. The females can grow to 1 3/8 inches in length. They are usually a dark brown color, and often have lighter markings on their legs.
- Brown recluse spiders typically get no longer than half an inch in length. They are shades of brown that range from light to dark. They have a violin-shaped marking on their backs, usually darker in color. They are venomous, and they will bite if disturbed or if they feel threatened.
- Black widows can grow as large as 1 3/8 inches. They are black and have a red hourglass-shaped marking on the underside of their abdomen. They are venomous, and if they feel threatened, they will bite.
Is It Dangerous To Have Spiders In My House?
Spiders usually are a nuisance but not dangerous. Seeing them inside your home can frighten you, but most do not bite unless they try to defend themselves. However, venomous spiders like black widow spiders and brown recluse spiders are frequently unwanted guests around Huntsville.
The dangers of spiders in a home increase when venomous spiders like the brown recluse or black widow are in the home. These spiders typically bite when they feel threatened. But because they hide in dark places, people can threaten the spider before they even know the arachnid is present. Each time you pick up something that has been stored, like winter clothing or Christmas decorations, you take a chance of encountering one of them.
Why Do I Have A Spider Problem In My Home?
Spiders in Alabama are drawn to food, water sources, and places they can feel sheltered. Your house may have cracks around doors, windows, or where cables enter your home that provide the arachnids' points of entry. Once inside your home, they find comfortable places to live where they feel safe and secure.
To reduce the chances of spiders entering your home, you can:
- Remove clutter that gives them hiding places.
- Seal all cracks, gaps, and holes that lead outside.
- Move piles of debris or wood at least 20 feet from the house.
When you see a web or a spider, you have to take immediate action to remove them. Spider infestations proliferate and worsen in the fall due to mating season. That's why effective spider control services in Huntsville from Morton's Pest Control, Inc can help!
What's The Best Way To Get Rid Of Spiders In My House?
The best way to get rid of spiders in your Huntsville home is to take preventive measures to keep them out and develop a pest management program with a professional service. At Mortons Pest Control, we will establish a schedule of regular inspections and treatment methods to make your home less inviting to spiders and the pests they prey on. If you want to find out how to make your property safe from spiders, contact us at Morton's Pest Control to learn more about our residential and commercial pest control services in Huntsville.